Friday 15 October 2021

Packet #112: Tayto Occasions Amarillo Chilli

 


A posh Crisp always promises a lot. Don't get me wrong, I have high expectations when I open any packet of Crisps. But posh Crisps promise a transformative experience. For example, these Tayto Crisps are for "Occassions" when you want to pretend to be in "Amarillo" eating "Chilli". Ooooooh.


Although I'm familiar with the song, I'm not going to pretend I didn't have to Google where Amarillo is. Did these Crisps transport me to a Texan city with a mayor called Ginger and a museum about horses? Read on to find out.


The black packaging and slightly heavier than normal foil makes these feel like a notions Crisp. And that can be a good thing, if you're in a certain mood.


Crack open the packet and you're greeted with a slightly exotic waft. Not overly chilli smelling, but definitely spiced.


Dig one of these golden discs out of the bag and you'll spot the tiny air bubbles of a well fried Crisp. A good sign for the impending texture test…


...And yes, they deliver on that front too. Very satisfyingly crunchy. Exactly what you'd expect from a posh Crisp.


Tastewise, they are quite sweet at first crunch. Even sweeter than Walker's Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli, and they have "sweet" in the name. The spiciness in this Crisp is one that is subtle at the start, but does build to quite a powerful spiciness at the end.


I don't think I felt like I was in Amarillo by the end of the bag, but then again I've never been to Texas.


Would I buy them again? I'm not so sure. I prefer a little less of a sweetness in my Crisp, if I'm being honest. But perhaps if I needed to impress a Texan, they'd be just the ticket.


Christine.

No comments:

Post a Comment