Packet #116 O’Donnells - Rachel Allen Sunday Roast




It may surprise you to know that I don’t have my own personal chef. If I want to whip up a quick bowl of bitesize shredded wheats or need a pot of pasta in a hurry, that’s all on me or my current husband. The salary of a Crisp critic only stretches so far.


But that all changed today in Aldi. For the bargain price of €1.99, celebrity chef Rachel Allen has whipped up a Sunday Roast in a bag for me to devour whenever I see fit. And that time is now, 11:30am on a Wednesday.


Crack open the bag and you can get a deeply potatoey smell. Fitting for both a Crisp and the Sunday Roast theme. There’s also a garlicky note, but nothing too strong.


Dipping my hand in, the Crisps are of the thick variety one associates with posh Crispitiers O’Donnells. You can also see a decent coating of seasoning on the Crisps in question too. A good sign.

On the palette, to my surprise, they have quite a diverse flavour profile. A rich beef-like flavour with a juicy element. Like having a spoonful of gravy with a sliver of sweet roasted carrot in the same mouthful. They’re also deeply spiced with a good few herbs thrown in. The flavour lingers but doesn’t overstay its welcome.


Although I’m a vegetarian, I’m a big fan of roast dinners. So I’m delighted to note that these are veggie. But perhaps that’s also the reason a specific meat isn’t called out here. Instead on her little note on the back, Rach talks about onion and garlic. A slightly odd move, but perhaps it also speaks to the integrity of O’Donnells, who won’t call out a flavour that’s not actually in the ingredients. 


Anyway, politics aside, what do I think of these Crisps? Well, dear reader, I like ‘em. In the 15 mins or so I’ve spent writing this review, I’ve eaten about half the packet. Would I buy them again? Maybe. Would I serve them as a side to a roast dinner sometimes? Probably.


Christine 


No comments:

Post a Comment